Thursday, May 20, 2010

I Can Haz Donations?

So my cousin and I run a gaming clan. It started with just a small number of people and all we needed was a teamspeak server and forums. Well over the past few months we have been growing rapidly. We have quite a few more members now and we wanted to be able to provide them with dedicated game servers to play on. The problem is that my cousin and I can't afford to pay for all of that, considering we branch out into 2 games in which we wanted to rent. So we began taking donations.

As it turns out, paypal won't let you accept donations if you don't have a bank account to attach to it. Since neither my cousin nor I wanted to attach our personal accounts to the club paypal (especially considering we have our own paypals) we needed to get a bank account created.

"I'm pretty sure I can just get a personal account set up for the clan." I said in innocent stupidity...*facepalm*.
YOU CAN NOT CREATE A BANK ACCOUNT WITHOUT THINGS LIKE A SSN OR A BIRHDATE!!!!

So as it turns out we had to register our clan as an "non-profit organization". We did this and got the EIN we needed, my cousin drafted up some "bylaws" and some "minutes" and I took them all to the bank. This time I was able to get it set up, making me a cosigner of an official, government recognized organization...thats a big deal for me.

All that's left now is to do the paypal bank confirmation process. It will take a few days, but after that we will be well on our way to accepting those donations.

2 comments:

  1. In response to your post on my blog....Will, the trouble with that plan is that.....you don't know my schedule without asking me. muahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the lolcats!!!! hehe! Congrats on the progress with your blog and also on the "iz can get moneys?" lol. :D

    ReplyDelete